Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Trip Report: Aeromexico, Houston IAH to Mexico City (May 2022)

 Stay Report: Aeromexico, Houston IAH to Mexico City
comment below and let me know your thoughts :)


I needed to fly to Mexico City from New Orleans and there were a couple of options available but most had me connecting in Houston - since I was connecting in Houston anyway I thought I may as well try and fly with an airline I have been wanting to fly for a while; Aeromexico.                                                                                                                                                                                              Aeromexico is a Skyteam member and is the national airline of Mexico.  They have a good reputation of flying mostly international flights from Mexico with some limited domestic routes.  Delta and Aeromexico have a joint venture agreement which allows them to seamlessly operate and sell tickets on each others routes.  Previously when I have flown to Mexico City, it has been with other carriers as they have provided better timings and fares; many carriers have stopped flying to Mexico City and instead have focused on leisure destinations such as Cancun in Mexico.  From Houston there are fullservice airlines flying like United and Aeromexico as well as low-cost airlines like VivaAerobus and Volaris.  I looked at the low-cost airlines and 1) the timings were odd; 2) with the addition of checked baggage and other amenities the price was the same as Aeromexico; and 3) I was traveling with my friend and so wanted to coordinate flight timings with them.  

It was easy to book the ticket with Aeromexico.  As a full service airline, a personal item plus a handcarry were included in the ticket as well as preselecting your seat at no charge.  Aeromexico has 3 categories of tickets - classic, plus and premier.  Classic is the regular ticket with a seat assignment and handy carry, plus includes that plus extra miles, extra legroom seats, and priority boarding.  Premier is business class with extra checked baggage and other business class services.  I selected the classic because I was not checking a bag and the classic fit my travel plans.  I was able to preselect my seat during the booking and could manage my booking through the app; including being able to upgrade at a cost or add additional services for a fee.                                                                                                                                                                            Checkin was open 24-hrs in advance where I could confirm my seat selection, add any extras, and receive my boarding pass.  I got to the gate really early as I was connecting from another airline and wanted to ensure I had enough time to connect to my international flight.  Because I had checked-in online, I needed to verify my passport and boarding pass with the gate agents.  The agents were very helpful and customer friendly so this was an easy process.  Flight was scheduled to depart at 11:15am and 30minutes prior boarding started.  Boarding was done by groups and these were strictly enforced; however, passengers waited until called by the gate agents event though the previous group had gone through so boarding took longer than necessary.  Luckily we were not a full flight so boarding completed, boarding doors closed and we pushed back ontime.

The operating aircraft for this 2hr20min flight was a Boeing 737 with a 3-3 seat configuration.  The color scheme, the layout, the seat configuration, everything reminded me of an older Delta plane; I know they have a joint-venture so do they also share planes?  The plane had business class up front and then economy in the back but in economy there was economy plus with extra legroom and then regular economy.  Each seat had a big PTV screen with USB ports and headphone jack underneath, followed by a full-size tray table and then a seatback pocket containing the safety card.  The seat pitch was good and so was the seat width but the seat comfort was lacking and you felt the age of the plane in that.  Once we were airborne, inflight service commenced with complimentary drinks and peanuts; there was also buy-on-board service as well for additional snacks.  Wifi was available but it was not complimentary but the PTV did have a decent amount of movies and TV shows; especially given the short flight time it was a good selection.
We landed and it took a VERY long time to get to the gate and deplane.  Overall, it was an average flight with Aeromexico.  It seemed very reminiscent as if I was traveling with Delta - same color scheme, same seat design and PTV design, and same layout.  The only difference was the onboard staff and primary language of instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment