Monday, April 25, 2022

Trip Report: American Airlines, Providenciales to Baltimore (July 2021)

Stay Report: American Airlines - Providenciales to Baltimore
comment below and let me know your thoughts :)


Travelling has seriously changed in 2021 due to the coronavirus pandemic.  Flight schedules have been drastically reduced or cancelled and this can be more impacted when a natural disaster happens.  I was returning from Turks & Caicos back to the U.S. onboard American Airlines from Providenciales to Baltimore via Charlotte but there was a hurricane that was disrupting travel so my flight was cancelled (my flight was severely delayed so that my connecting flight would be missed so they just cancelled it all).  I received the notification via email and my flight was rebooked 3-days later; that rebooking did not work for me since I needed to get back to work so I left my hotel and went to the airport to see if there was any other flights or options available.  After standing in line for 3+-hours, I finally was able to get on the flight to Miami and connect to Washington, D.C.  

My first flight was onboard a Boeing 737 from Providenciales to Miami.  Flight time was a bit over
2hrs and it was a completely full flight.  The plane was in a 2-2 configuration in business and a 3-3 in economy with extra legroom space upfront and main economy in the back.  Main economy seats were a bit tight but were decent enough for the 2-hour flight time.   The seat looked updated and was comfortable enough for the flight duration.  There was a space for airline literature uptop followed by a contraption to hold your electronic device in place.  There were no seatback screens as American has removed those and instead installed these contraptions to hold your personal device and you can personally stream videos to your phone/tablet through the wifi.  In my opinion, its great you get to stream to your own device but the contraption does not always work.  American has also installed USB ports on every seatback so that you can constantly charge your device while streaming; there are universal power ports beneath the seat for additional power.  Once airborne, the inflight service commenced which consisted of pretzels plus a complimentary beverage.  I do like that on most American flights they do give you the entire can of drink and not just a mouthwash size glass, especially on internationally flights.  After a relatively smooth flight we landed in Miami.  

My original destination was Baltimore but when I was rebooking in Providenciales they thought I could not make my connection to Baltimore so they booked me on a flight to Washington Reagan.  When I got to Miami, I went to the transfer desk where there was luckily no-one and asked if I could be transferred to the Baltimore flight.  Thanks for my Global Entry and having hand-luggage only, I got through immigration quickly so would be able to make the flight if they could rebook me.  After 20 minutes of waiting and negotiation, I got onto the flight to Baltimore.  The flight from Miami to Baltimore was operated by an older plane that needed to be updated.  I had been allocated the first seat with plenty of legroom and but it was still a less comfortable ride for the 2hr35min flight time (I recently flew from Charlotte to Baltimore and that was on the newer and updated Boeing 737 so not sure if that plane had not been updated yet).  Again after takeoff the inflight service commenced of pretzels and a drink and again, appreciated receiving the entire can.  After a relatively smooth flight we landed in Baltimore and deplaned.

Overall, it was a pleasant journey on American.  After this trip, I recently took American on a domestic trip and had a similarly decent experience - the seats were decent, they had working USB ports and the service was decent as well; they were a solid B-grade airline.  I did have to argue somewhat both in Providenciales and in Miami for the flights but I think I would have had to do that with other airlines as well.  I would definitely choose to take American domestically or to the Caribbean; I have taken them internationally once and vowed never to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment