Thursday, October 3, 2024

Trip Report: SCAT Airlines, Almaty to Astana (September 2024)

 Trip Report: SCAT Airlines, Almaty to Astana
comment below and let me know your thoughts :)


I was traveling domestically in Kazakhstan and needed to fly from Almaty to Astana.  There are generally three airlines to choose from when flying Kazakhstan - AirAstana, FlyArstan, and SCAT Airlines.  AirAstana is the more well-off and defined airline of Kazakhstan, with FlyArstan being their LCC arm.  SCAT Airlines has less of a defined reputation and is generally known for poor service, poor planes, poor on-time departures, and generally not as put together.  I was going to fly AirAstana from Astana to Bishkek via Almaty (check out the review here), and FlyArstan did not operate a flight on the day I wanted to travel so I decided to book a flight with SCAT Airlines.                                                                                                            SCAT Airlines is an airline which operates domestic as well as regional flights from Kazakhstan, but their operations and flight timings are limited meaning they may only operate one or two times a day or week for that sector.  For the sector and date I was flying, there was either a morning flight or an evening flight between Almaty and Astana so I decided to book the evening flight.  I booked my flight directly through the SCAT website for a couple of reasons: 1) I wanted to ensure the flight option I selected came with a checked bag, and 2) sometimes when I have booked on third-party sites the ticket does not always translate and that can be an issue especially if there are cancellations and/or delays.

The flight that I booked was scheduled to depart Almaty at 5:25pm and arrive Astana at 7:05pm with a scheduled flight time of 1hr40min.  The ticket that I booked came with a 23kg checked baggage allowance, 10kg hand luggage allowance as well as seat selection.  The operating aircraft was scheduled to be a Boeing 737 with a 3-3 seat configuration.  24hrs prior to the flight I was able to check-in online and receive a mobile boarding pass, and I went to the airport well in advance to check in my luggage and to confirm the flight was going to be operating that day (I had heard of SCAT canceling a lot of flights).  There were a lot of people at the check-in desk and it was very chaotic but everything was checked in and I went to security and the gate.  Even though the gate was assigned, we were not allowed to go near the gate until the flight was ready for boarding; so it was a lot of waiting in cramped and uncomfortable seating until the boarding time.  Once the boarding announcement was made, it was a 'come one, come all' boarding with no clear instructions nor order.
The operating aircraft was a Boeing 737 with a 3-3 seat configuration.  The plane looked like an outdated Southwest plane and there had been little to no updates to the plane.  The seats were changed but they were not updated and the seats were old, uncomfortable, offered little to no legroom, and some were broken so the back had some recline while others it was hard to recline.  Scheduled departure time was 5:25pm and to my surprise the aircraft was boarded and we pushed back on time; I say to my surprise because literally every other SCAT flight that day from Almaty was delayed by a minimum of 3-4 hours.  Manual safety demonstrations were done and then we taxied and took off for Astana.

Once airborne, the inflight service commenced.  SCAT is a low-cost airline which includes buy-onboard so first the flight attendants came through offering items for purchases.  Once that was concluded, they came back and offered complimentary bottles of water; it was a nice touch and that was the only thing complimentary offered.  After that, it was up to the passenger to bide the time as there was no wifi nor no inflight entertainment.  Many passengers reclined their seat to nap, but since the legroom was already tight having them reclined basically put the front passenger in the rear passengers lap.  Flight time was 1hr and 25min and after a bit we started our descent into Astana and concluded the journey.                                                                                                                        Overall, it was an interesting experience with SCAT.  I am glad the flight took off and landed on time and they got me and my luggage safely to Astana.  Was it the best airport or onboard experience I have had, definitely not and I can see where the criticisms come from.  Also, have experienced Air Astana on the return and seeing what a difference both on the ground and in the air they can be; I can see more of the criticism and difference.  However, there sometimes can be a significant price difference so if you know what you are getting into then you can deal with it for a short domestic flight.  I would definitely not recommend it for anything international nor longer flights though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment