Sunday, October 13, 2019

Trip Report: AirAsia, Brunei to Kuala Lumpur (July 2019)

Trip Report: AirAsia, Brunei to Kuala Lumpur
comment below and let me know your thoughts :)

I was in Brunei and needed to travel back to Kuala Lumpur.  I had arrived on Royal Brunei (check out that review here) but their flight times for the return did not work with my schedule, and I wanted to try a different airline.  Based on flight times, I decided to go with AirAsia and I wanted to try their product.  I had flown AirAsia back in 2011 on a short flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore, but I wanted to experience their service on a longer flight and see if there had been any changes in almost 10 years.  AirAsia is the pioneer of low-cost flying in SouthEast Asia and as a LCC they charge for everything.  They have a variety of options and packages available depending on your preference and price points.  While I had initially wnated to book the flight through an online travel portal, I decided to book directly with AirAsia as I could clearly see what different options were available.  Navigating the AirAsia website was very easy, but 1) you have to sign up for their frequent flyer program in order to complete the booking; there is no other option and 2) it was somewhat difficult to process the payment for the ticket if you are based in the US and the AirAsia assistance was not very helpful (this should have been a clue to how my flight was going to turn out).  

As I said, AirAsia is a LCC which means they charge for everything.  I was traveling with a checked baggage so I searched through the various options that included a checked baggage.  The option I choose was the 'Value Pack' which included 20kg checked baggage, a meal, standard seat selection, and 1hour baggage guarantee.  I appreciated the bundle package, and while it had more items that I really needed, the bundling was a smart idea.  Every ticket comes with 7kg complimentary hand carry, and this is strictly enforced (more on that later).  My flight was scheduled to depart Brunei at 4:30pm and arrive into Kuala Lumpur at 6:50pm with a scheduled flight time of 2hr 20min.  48hours prior to my departure I received a notice that it was time to check into my flight; I was used to 24-hour notices and receiving a notice this early caused me to panic a bit and check to ensure I had booked the correct flight.  While I appreciate checking in so early, I wish AirAsia would advise customers of this as it would save some panic attacks.  Checking in through the app or the website was very easy, and while checking in I could move my seat selection to any standard seat selection in the cabin (they have standard seat selection and 'Big' seat selection with extra legroom).  Even though I had already checked-in and had my boarding pass, I still arrived at the airport 2hours prior to my flight as I had to check my bag and get my documents checked.


The check-in counter was pretty empty when I arrived (I discovered later that it was a pretty empty flight) so checking in was really quick.  Both my checked luggage and my hand carry were weighed, and because of a laptop my hand carry was a bit over the limit by 2kg and this was written on my boarding pass.  I proceeded through security and immigration to my gate, where they were setting up for another checking.  The entrance to the boarding area was sectioned off to check the boarding pass but also to weigh the hand carry.  I understand they are a LCC and they need to be strict about their hand carry weight, but this can be done either in a customer friendly or non-customer friendly, and this day it was handled in a non-customer friendly way.  The airline ground staff were extremely harsh and a bit rude when enforcing the 7kg hand carry limit.  When it came to my turn, I started to tell them that my hand carry had already been weighed when I was interrupted by the agent who said 'everything needs to be reweighed so put it on the scale'.  I put my hand carry on the scale and that is when the other agent noticed the writing on my boarding pass which had stated that I already had my hand carry weighed and after a conversation I was let go.  Again, I understand the strictness but the way it was handled was poor customer service.

As soon as the plane landed from Kuala Lumpur, and the passengers had disembarked, boarding started.  Boarding initially started in groups but then given the light load and the lack of lines that quickly turned into everyone boarding at the same time.  On board the Airbus A320, it was a 3-3 seat layout.  The standard seats were in black while the 'Big' seats had a red cover on them.  The seat itself was alright but a bit uncomfortable and the legroom was not tight but definitely not roomy either.  In my opinion, the seat would be comfortable for a 1-2 hour flight but anything over that would be very uncomfortable.  As a LCC, the seat is very basic with a tray table in the middle and a seatback pocket which contained the airline magazine, the menu, and the Duty Free magazine.  Once boarding was completed, given the light load passengers were free to move to another seat as long as it was another standard seat (ie you could not move from a standard seat to a 'Big' seat, and this was being enforced throughout the flight).  Manual safety demonstrations were conducted, we pushed back and headed off for Kuala Lumpur on time.  The aircraft itself looked middle aged, it definitely was not a new plane but was not an old plane either; and same for the cleanliness as it was not too clean but was not too dirty either.  


Even after we had reached cruising altitude, it took the crew a while to start the inflight service; maybe it was due to the light load but usually LCC's are quick to start the service as it is a revenue generator.  The first pass was those who had preordered meals or who had meals booked with their ticket and the second pass was for those to purchase any items; then a third pass was made with a duty free cart.   I have been on a couple of LCC's and some of them sell the product hard but the crew on this flight did not seem bothered; again, the lack of customer friendliness that was evident from the ground staff was also evident in the air.  The 'Value Pack' that I had booked with my ticket came with a meal and I could choose from a variety of options that were able to be prebooked.  I had booked the vegetarian option, and this came with a bottle of water.  The food was delivered with just the food, utensils, and a bottle of water - there was no presentation or effort put in at all.  The food itself was actually very good and very flavorful, and I was very surprised as I had very low expectations of the quality of the food.  The remaining time passengers could pass the flight how they choose; to sleep, read, or do as they choose.  AirAsia does offer wifi on board and does offer some complimentary entertainment when connected to the wifi, but the entertainment selection consisted of Malaysian television movies and tv shows (so not great for international audiences).  It was a very uneventful flight and the only entertainment provided was by the captain who made various announcements throughout the flight and he seemed to take pride in his job (the only one who seemed to do so).

We started our descent into Kuala Lumpur and landed on time, proceeded to the gate, and disembarked through a jetbridge (another surprise as most LCC make you board and disembark via stairs).  Once immigration was cleared, it was only a 10-15 minute wait before the luggage arrived.  Overall, it was a disappointing flight with AirAsia.  As one of the biggest LCCs in the world, I was a expecting a good LCC experience but what I received was a poor LCC experience with ground staff and crew that seem disenchanted, an extremely strict enforcement of hand carry rules, and overall just an average flight.  I saw nothing and experienced nothing that would set AirAsia apart from another carrier or something that would make this flight special or make me want to choose AirAsia.  To me, AirAsia seems to have decided that just providing low fares is enough and nothing else is need to entice passengers; for me, that is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment