Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Trip Report: Malindo Air, Kuala Lumpur to Colombo (September 2019)

Trip Report: Malindo Air, Kuala Lumpur to Colombo
comment below and let me know your thoughts :)


I was in Kuala Lumpur and needed to travel to Colombo.  There are a couple of options on this route, but based on timing and price I choose to go with Malindo Air.  I had arrived into Kuala Lumpur on Malindo (check out that review here) so I had a general idea of what I was expecting.  It is interesting to note that even when booking on one ticket, Malindo combines two one-way fares so you can either pay for them individually or separately; the fare will be the same (my two flights were the same price either booked together or separately).  Booking the flight through the Malindo website was easy and it allowed me to select which option best suited me.  From the reviews and previous passengers, Malindo used to provide full service experience at budget prices; however, now they have changed their product into bundles; the bundles range from basic to business with variations in between.  As I had checked baggage, I choose the option that included checked luggage - this fare only included checked baggage and not preselecting your seat, as there was another option that included both of these combinations; the bundle that I selected also included a meal (all bundles apparently included a meal).  Note: standard luggage allowance is 23kg but as Malindo is shifting to a low-cost carrier model, they have reduced their complimentary luggage allowance to 20kg; you can add more weight for a fee.

You could manage your booking either through the website or through the app - you got more services from the website than through the app; with the app, I was able to check-in online and select my seat 48hours prior to departure.  My flight was scheduled to depart Kuala Lumpur at 10:25pm and arrive into Colombo at 11:25pm but earlier in the morning I received an email from Malindo stating that my flight was delayed and that my new departure time was 11:35pm.  I appreciated Malindo's proactiveness in this situation and allowing the passengers almost all day to rearrange their schedule.      

Even though Kuala Lumpur is Malindo's hub, I had to wait until 3 hours prior to my flight before the check-in desks opened.  Check-in was a breeze, and even though my luggage was at 20kg, the weight enforcement was not stringent.  Once the gate was opened, passengers went through gate security and to the boarding area to wait for the flight; even though the gate was open the plane still had not arrived.  I got a bit nervous as whether the flight would be delayed further - also, Malindo has a 'flexible' definition of on-time; the plane landed, passengers deplaned, and boarded was done by groups.  Even though we were delayed and boarding started later than usual, there was no sense of rush or hurry amongst either the ground staff or airline crew; everyone took their time to board and get situated in their seat.


Malindo Air is part of the Lion Air Group which also Batik Air, Lion Air, and Thai Lion Air so even though the flight was operated by Malindo Air, the outside of the plane said Batik Air.  The operating aircraft was a Boeing 737-800 with a 2-2 in business class and a 3-3 in economy class.  The plane generally looked in good condition and looked fairly new, with mood lighting and updated overhead panels.  The seat pitch was very good and very generous - I am 6'1 and my knees weren't even touching the seat in front of me.  The seat looked new and stylish in black and red leather type, but it was not that comfortable and was really uncomfortable towards the end of the flight.  Malindo had prided itself of providing seatback entertainment on its flight and this plane had the seatback PTV with a headphone jack and USB port (my previous flight did not have the PTV).  The PTV had a decent selection of movies and TV shows, and while it was not extensive, it was enough to pass the time and provide a good distraction.  Below the PTV was a standard tray table followed by a seatback pocket which contained the airline magazine, the duty free magazine, and safety card.  Once all passengers had boarded, a safety video was shown as we taxied to the runway and took off for Colombo.  


The flight time to Colombo was 3hr 35minute but, as with my first flight, as we reached cruising altitude the FA's came around to start their service.  They were very fast and very quick (even though we had a lot of time) but it was late and I think they wanted to complete their service so passengers could rest.  The service consisted of a complimentary meal and complimentary water, tea, or coffee - other drinks were available but they had to be purchased and only with small American bills or small Malaysian bills (you could not use credit cards).  Again, the meal meal itself was small, basic, but it was better in taste and flavor than my previous meal with Malindo; the size here was substantial for the 3+ hour flight, but it was the same size as the 5+hour flight.  The meal service really reflected the struggle Malindo is going through - as they are not sure if they are a low-cost carrier or an economy carrier with perks.  The complimentary meal part of international economy, but the quality and size of it, as well as asking patrons to pay for other drinks besides water, felt more like a low-cost carrier.  Once the meal trays were cleared, the cabin lights were dimmed and most passengers slept since it was an overnight flight.  About 45 minutes prior to landing, the cabin lights came back on and the cabin was prepared for landing.  During the flight, FAs did provide water but mostly they were available in the back if passengers needed anything. 


My first flight with Malindo was very confusing as I was not sure whether Malindo was a standard economy airline or trying to be a low-cost carrier.  They seemed to be a mix or hybrid of the two with low ticket prices but bundled; complimentary meal but the quality and only option of water is very low-cost.  Positives of the airline include low ticket prices, generous legroom, usually PTV, and complimentary meal.  Based on my two experiences with Malindo, the question I have is - would I fly them again?  After this experience, I am not sure - I would definitely not fly them long-haul (the 5+hour flight was a bit rough) but I would not mind a 3.5 hour or less flight.  While they would not be my first option, the positive aspects of the flight, and the low price would make me not avoid them.

No comments:

Post a Comment