Friday, May 4, 2018

Trip Report: RwandAir - Nairobi to Kigali (April 2018)

Trip Report: RwandAir - Nairobi to Kigali
         comment below and let me know your thoughts :)

I was flying from Nairobi to Kigali and on this route I could choose to fly with either Kenya Airways or RwandAir.  I was already flying on Kenya Airways on other sectors (check out the reviews here), and had heard a lot about RwandAir so wanted to try their product; so decided to book a flight with them.  On the route I was flying, there was no price difference between the two carriers so there was no real incentive to fly them other than time preferences and trying new airlines.  Booking the ticket was easy and quick on the RwandAir website, as it was very user friendly and efficient.  On the website, I was only able to book the flight and request a special meal, but I was not able to pre-select my seat.  I completed my booking and received the confirmation in email.



I wanted to confirm the special meal request as well as request a seat assignment, so I emailed the airline.  The airline got back to me a couple of days later and said that my meal request had been confirmed but that they could not confirm seat assignments until the day of the flight.  My flight departed Nairobi at 3:35p and was scheduled to arrive into Kigali at 4pm (the flight had originated from Entebbe and was stopping off in Nairobi before heading to Kigali).  The day before my flight, I was able to check-in online and during this process I was able to preselect my seat and receive my boarding pass.  On the day of my flight, I was stuck in Nairobi traffic so I reached out to the airline via social media to see what would happen if I missed my flight (as RwandAir has an afternoon and evening flight departure).  To this day I still have not received a response from them, but luckily I made it to the airport in time.  RwandAir provides two checked bags for free, but I only had one bag so check-in was very easy and efficient; my luggage was tagged and I received my boarding pass.


The operating aircraft for this flight was a CRJ aircraft, which generally are small and tiny.  The aircraft was parked on an aircraft stand so boarding passes were collected in the airport and then we walked to the aircraft.  The aircraft was laid out in a 2-2 seat layout and generally the seats were comfortable and the legroom was extremely good (I am tall and I had more than enough legroom).  Boarding a bit chaotic as there was no order to the process, with everyone trying to board at once and people having difficulty finding their seats.  The attendants on board were not particularly interested in helping any of the passengers nor in speeding up the boarding process.  Boarding finally completed, the door was closed, manual safety demonstrations were conducted, and we taxied to the runway.  This is another instance where the attendants were not really paying attention as the passenger sitting next to me did not understand the safety demonstrations, did not understand English, and was sitting without her seatbelt on.  I motioned twice for the flight attendants but they seemed least bothered.  It was only while doing their final safety checks did I repeat the information to the flight attendant and they finally paid attention. While the plane is taxing to the runway I was made to switch to a bulkhead seat – and even here most airlines make you put your hand-carry in the overhead compartment to keep the aisle clear.  On this flight, the attendants seemed least bothered.  After waiting for a while we finally took off for the 1hr 25m flight time.

Once we reached cruising altitude, the inflight service commenced.  The attendants came by with a drink cart and a meal cart.  Even though I had ordered a special meal and the special meal was delivered onboard, it was not marked for a particular seat assignment nor with my name.  Another passenger, who had not pre-ordered a special meal but requested one onboard was given my special meal.  When I asked for the meal, they said they only had one and it had been given away so the option was to give me the regular tray of the sides without the main meal; I passed on that option.  When the drink cart came, it was limited as it only had juice, water, and alcohol.  I asked for a soft drink and they said they did not have it nor could they get it for me so I ended just taking water.  In both the drink and meal service, the attendants attitude was a ‘take it or leave it’; they couldn’t care less. 

After the service concluded, there was not much to do for the remainder of the flight.  There were no PTV screens nor any inflight entertainment system.  The seats had compartment up top which held the airline magazine, the airsickness bag, as well as the duty free catalog.  There was also a tray table below and another holder beneath that to store other items.  There were no USB ports and I could not find any electrical outlets either.   We started our descent into Kigali and the attendants came by to do their last safety checks, and again they really did not pay attention to seatbacks being upright nor to ensure everyone had their seatbelts on.

We landed into Kigali generally on time and taxied to a stand (there are no airline bridges at Kigali International) and deplaned via the stairs.  The stairs on the plane are very narrow and can be slippery, especially when it is raining as it was in Nairobi, and because of that three passengers slipped and fell coming down the stairs.  For this reason, the airline made the passengers go down the stairs very slowly so deplaning took a while.  After deplaning we boarded the bus which took us to the arrivals hall.
 
Overall, I was disappointed with my RwandAir flight.  I was really looking forward to their flight, as I was told by others about their good service and I see how active they are on social media.  Despite my high expectations, everything the flight was a miss.  The customer service was lacking, the inflight service was poor, and the overall experience was lacking.  The only positives about the experience was the ease of booking the flight and the generous legroom.  Given this experience, I would not choose to fly RwandAir again.

No comments:

Post a Comment