Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Trip Report: Precision Air Tanzania - Zanzibar, Tanzania to Nairobi, Kenya (April 2018)

Trip Report: Precision Air Tanzania - Zanzibar to Nairobi
         comment below and let me know your thoughts :)

I was in Zanzibar and wanted to travel to Nairobi directly, without having to stop or travel back to Dar Es Salaam.  There are only two airlines that fly directly on this route – Kenya Airways and Precision Air.  Kenya Airways is the national airline of Kenya while Precision Air is a Tanzania-based airline that is also partly owned by Kenya Airways.  Both airlines operate various flights throughout the day, so the choice is based on timing and preference.  I chose to fly with Precision Air for a couple of reasons: 1) I was already flying with Kenya Airways on other sectors (check out the reviews here) so wanted to try a different airline; 2) the flight timing was better with Precision Air; and 3) the flight was a bit cheaper, but not by much.  I booked the flight directly through the Precision Air website, and it was generally easy and efficient to do so.  While booking the flight, I could select the flight times but I could not pre-select seats at time of purchase.  After booking the ticket, I received the confirmation in my email.

I had previously flown with Precision Air, about 5 years, on a short, 20-minute flight from Dar Es Salaam to Zanzibar (check out the review here) so I was somewhat familiar with their product.  They mainly operate a regional network of short flights using ATR, propeller aircraft.  Since the previous flight was only 20-minutes, I did not get a chance to experience the full service of Precision Air but now I would on this flight.  The flight from Zanzibar to Nairobi was the second sector of the flight, as the plane originated in Dar Es Salaam and stopped in Zanzibar before continuing on to Nairobi.  As they mainly operate shorter flights, the service is a bit limited onboard but complimentary luggage (one piece of 23kg) is included. 

My flight was scheduled for a 7:35p departure with a 9:15p arrival into Nairobi.  There was an earlier flight at 6p that I was trying to get on, and for this I had contacted the airline via email but got no response so I had to call them.  On the telephone, they told me the charge to change the flight would be $200 – which seems like a big price to pay (and frankly was almost the price I paid for the ticket itself) so I did not make the change.  24hours prior to my flight I went to the website and was able to check-in online.  Through the check-in, I was able to pre-select my seat as well as receive an electronic boarding pass. 

I made it to the airport with plenty of time before the flight, and at this time at night there were only Precision Air departures – either to Nairobi or Dar Es Salaam.  Given this, check-in was very quick and easy; luggage was tagged and I received my boarding pass.  Given the flight was supposed to take off at 7:35p, we were to start boarding at 7p but the incoming aircraft was delayed due to heavy rains in the area.  They finally called the boarding of the flight, but there was no order as we were just called to the boarding.  Once the boarding passes were collected, we made our way onto the bus which took us to our aircraft parked at the end.  The operating aircraft was an ATR4272 in with a 2-2 seat configuration.  Boarding happens through the rear of the aircraft, as in the front is where the luggage is stored. 
 
On board, the plane looked fairly new and was in good condition.  The seats were comfortable and had good legroom (especially for someone who is tall like me).  The only thing that was an issue was the lack of overhead bin space given it was not a big aircraft.  After all the passengers boarded and took their seats, the boarding door closed, manual safety demonstrations were conducted, and we taxied to the runway.

Take-off was generally smooth, which was surprising given how bad the weather was (it was raining all day).  Once we reached cruising altitude, the inflight service commenced.  Complimentary drinks were served along with a choice of biscuits or a chicken-sandwich.  There was no other option besides chicken, so if you did not eat chicken and/or meat the only choice were the biscuits.  After the service, passengers were left on their own for the remainder of the flight.  The seatpocket did contain an airline magazine, as well as the safety card and the sickness bag, so that was something to read during the flight.  Most passengers either slept or watched pre-downloaded shows until it was time to land in Nairobi.  We started our descent, the cabin was prepped for landing, and we landed in Nairobi a bit behind schedule and then taxied to the gate.


Overall, it was generally a pleasant flight with Precision Air.  The flight time was 1hr 20minute and for that short flight time you got a comfortable seat with decent legroom, complimentary luggage and drinks, biscuits or a sandwich, and decent service.  My only complaint was that the price for the flight was a bit high, given the short distance and the minimal service, but other than that a good flight onboard Precision Air,

No comments:

Post a Comment