Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Isn't this your job!

Before I write this blog, I have to admit something first (because it pertains to what I am about to write about): I did not watch the Superbowl.  I have no fascination or interest in football, I think its a waste of 3 hours bu that's my opinion.  I am a news-hound and would much rather spend my time listening and watching and paying attention to the news and plight of people around the world (soapbox over!)

This post is not on the game itself but the half-time show and the performers, and in particular the Red Hot Chili Peppers (RHCP).  According to the news reports and videos, the RHCP did not play live at the Superbowl.  This is not the first time an artist has not played live (Beyonce, Britney, most of the artist) and it probably won't be the last. 

But wait....isn't singing their JOB!!!

In my mind, the RHCP's job is to sing and perform.  The performance is secondary to what they are supposed to be doing, their main job is to sing.  I relate it to showing up to work and you look good (the performance) but you don't actually do your work; if that is the case then what is the point of showing up.  I am assuming the RHCP were paid to show up and sing and not just look pretty (because they don't, except for the lead singer who has kept it toned!)

Everyone who was discussing this on television and other sites were saying it was cold, and you are looking at the performance and that they had taped their song.  That is what I could not understand - why was EVERYONE defending them?!?!  Nobody I heard ever said (either this time or when Beyonce did it, or when Britney did it) that these singers actually did not do their job; they did not sing!

When you pay for a concert, yes you expect a performance but that should secondary to the reason the person is there - to SING the song that sold millions; not to just stand there and dance around while the track plays in the background.  I don't need to pay $100 to see that; I can see that on youtube for free in the comfort of my own house!  

No comments:

Post a Comment